The HCG Diet has a lot of amazing benefits for both men and women who were unable to lose weight. As with any weight loss plan, the HCG Diet can come with its own issues and minimal to no side effects. Now, if you have come across some information about the dangers that the HCG Diet can pose, you may want to look again. Some of this information can be very helpful but some are not very well-researched.
What is HCG Diet?
The HCG Diet is a type of extreme diet aimed at achieving a fast weight loss of up to 1-2 pounds a day. It has been around since the 1950s. The use of the HCG injections for weight loss was first established by a British doctor Dr. Albert Simeons in 1954. His idea consisted of 2 major components:
- Administering the hormone through injections
- Following a very low calorie diet of only 500 calories a day
Multiple studies have been conducted showing how the HCG diet works and how effective the hormones can be in resetting one’s metabolism.
Common HCG Diet Side Effects
The most common complains that come up from HCG dieters are:
What causes headaches on the HCG Diet? Headache is one of the most common side effects when you transition into the low calorie phase of the HGC Diet as well as with any other diets. Headache doesn’t last very long. It typically occurs during the first few days of the 500-calorie diet. Most dieters experience headaches for 1-2 days only but some may not experience a headache at all. Remember that everyone is different and the length of a headache depends on several factors.
When you are on a low calorie diet you eat less than what you are used to eating thus having less expel too. You may get bowel movement for as many times as 3 to 4 days apart. So, drink plenty of water to help make things softer and to smoothen out the track.
- Leg cramps
Leg cramps are usually due to insufficient potassium in your diet. You can minimize leg cramps by taking in potassium supplements. If you are potassium-deficient, you may also become irritated and depressed. You become constipated and may have skin problems. To combat this, consume at least 3,000 mg of potassium a day.
The side effects may occur only during the first few days of the HCG Diet. It may also differ from person to person. The side effects can be prevented by taking supplements, having treatment or simply by perfectly following the HCG Diet protocol.
What causes headaches on the HCG Diet?
- You have probably spent a good portion of your life feeding on carbohydrates. Your body’s cell, hormones, and brain have adapted to carbohydrates as the main source of fuel. This confuses your body’s metabolism so your body undergoes metabolic changes. Your metabolism works overtime to get used to using the energy from other sources rather than from the carbohydrates. As your body adjust to the transition, you are likely to experience mild headaches just as with any dietary plans.
- Another reason why headaches occur is due to the fuel source. Your body expects to receive the same amount of fuel from the same source as it used to receive. As your body becomes aware of the existing stored fat for energy, the stored fat breaks down and passes through your bloodstream. Your body in return must work harder to obtain the fuel from stored fats than it would from normal food consumption, as a result, you may experience a headache. Your headache will continue until your body gets used to metabolizing this way. You will experience similar headaches like those times when you try to reduce your caffeine and sugar intake because your body expects to receive the fuels it did before you start dieting.
- Headache is also common for those who were on a high carb and high sugar diet during loading days. In this case, the headache is more of metabolic detoxification from high sugar and carb intake rather than the hormone itself.
How to prevent headaches on the HCG Diet?
- Drink plenty of water since dehydration is very common during the very low calorie phase of the HCG Diet. When you’re on the very low calorie diet, your body begins to excrete excess water. Your body weight reduction isn’t all from fat loss but also water. It’s vital to drink plenty of water while on the HCG Diet as water can work wonders on your body. Sometimes, the reason why you often get headaches is that you are dehydrated.
- Load on high-calorie, high-fat foods instead of high-carb and high-sugar foods to prevent carb withdrawal symptoms. Those who consume carbs and sugar during the loading days are the ones who are likely to experience worse headaches.
- Eat apples. Apples can help ease headaches. When you do apple trick remove one fruit from your lunch or dinner.
- Take supplements that can help convert fats into fuel like co-enzyme Q10 and Omega-3 fatty acids.