Snack Ideas during the Maintenance Phase of the HCG Diet
Moving from the very low calorie diet phase into the maintenance phase can be quite scary especially if it is your first time. Here, you can start your journey by eating like a normal person. However, just like on the very low calorie diet phase, there are still rules that you have to follow when it comes to food choices. One rule is for you to stay on track by avoiding carbs and sugars until your body can safely handle them. By the end of the second week, you may slowly introduce them back. You start with natural sugars from fruits followed by carbs from veggies.
It’s actually hard to stay away from starches and sugars especially when it comes to snack ideas because almost all of them have either starch or sugars. When picking up for snack ideas, look at the nutritional value so you may know whether it’s safe for you or not.
Here are snack ideas suitable for the maintenance phase of the HCG Diet:
- An apple with 2 tablespoons of butter
- Sliced apple with a handful of walnuts sprinkled with stevia and cinnamon
- Grilled chicken strips
- Turkey-lettuce wrap with a slice of provolone, turkey breast, tomato and mustard in a lettuce wrap
- Devilled eggs
- Canned tuna
- Dry-roasted Edamame
- Trail mix with chocolates and unsweetened dried fruits
- Raw veggies such as mushrooms, bell peppers or cucumber dipped in ranch
- Cottage cheese with fresh fruits (avoid banana, sweeter fruits, melons or grapes)
- A handful of raw almonds
- Fresh mixed berries with cream or half and half with added milk chocolate flavored stevia
- String cheese with fruits
- Beef jerky without sugar (avoid BBQ or Teriyaki sauce)
- Cottage cheese with salsa or dip and serve with raw veggies
- Celery with peanut butter
- Unsweetened Greek yogurt
- Pork rinds
- Grilled chicken strips
- Veggies with a dip made from plain yogurt and dill
- Roasted chickpeas with spices like ginger or turmeric
- Smoothie made from protein powder, fresh or frozen berries
- Cheese and veggie omelet
- Fruit salad topped with Stevia (avoid banana, melons, grapes and sweeter fruits)
- Low-sodium lean deli meat
- Sugar-Free Jello with Fruit
- Anything made with Miracle Noodles
- Sugar-Free, Fat-Free Pudding
Helpful tips in choosing snacks
- Snack requirements:
- Protein: 4 or more grams
- Carbs: 20 or less grams
- Sugar: 10 or less grams
- Choose foods with a low glycemic index to help you balance your blood sugar level and maintain weight loss.
- Make sure to avoid sugar and starchy additives. Choose those that are high in protein and fiber.
- You can have fruits in moderation but do not overdo. Avoid concentrated fruit juices.
- Make smart snack choices. Choose nutrient-dense snacks that will keep you feeling full longer.
- Read food labels when you go grocery shopping. Avoid buying foods with added sugars. Avoid anything with “Ose” in it because it indicates that the ingredient is a sugar. Avoid starchy additives like maltodextrine and anything with cornstarch.
Did you know?
- Protein is crucial during the maintenance phase of the HCG Diet. Foods high in protein can help keep your waist thin and weight low.
- The best time to have your snack is between your regular meals. It also best for your snack to be high in protein.