Since the time the original HCG diet came up a lot has changed. The original protocol of Dr. Simeons calls for a strict avoidance of fats and oil while on the second phase of the HCG Diet but now you’ll find that dieters wish to add coconut oils on their diet for a lot of reasons. They also believe that it must not be included in the calorie count. There are two schools of thought on the subject of coconut oil and the HCG diet: The original protocol says you shouldn’t incorporate it on your diet while some doctors now are recommending this kind of oil.
Does it work?
Coconut oil is one of the trendiest sources of healthy fat on the market. It is weight loss friendly too. It is purely fat but it’s also a good source of naturally occurring MCTs or medium-chain triglycerides, a form of saturated fat. Coconut oil is different from other fats and it behaves differently in the body. It has an incredible ability to stimulate metabolism and prevent fat accumulation on your belly. It’s more filling and satiating thus helping you curb down your hunger pangs. It’s easy to use, just add them in your salad or as a replacement to your other oil. However, if you are truly adhering to the HCG diet protocol better incorporate it after the 500 calorie diet. Anyway, phase 2 of the HCG diet doesn’t last long.
How can coconut oil help you lose weight?
Coconut oil contains around 55%-65% of MCTs. What’s so special about MCTs and why many people are turning to them is that they aid in weight loss management. They’re fast-acting energy source for the body. Your body can use them almost immediately since they don’t require to be processed by the digestive system. In a study conducted involving overweight men and women who incorporate MCTs into their diet noticed that MTC oil:
- Reduced body weight
- Decreased abdominal fat and waist circumference
- Lowered total fat mass
- Coconut oil can boost your metabolism
The MCTs of coconut oil are processed much quicker than other oil. It takes a short cut allowing it to be metabolized faster and burn more energy instead even when you are resting. It has a very low tendency to deposit as fat. Coconut oil improves the overall energy expenditure as it increases the fat-burning ability of the body thereby preventing weight gain. It stimulates metabolic rate for 24 hours at consumption allowing more fats to burn and raised energy rates.
- Coconut oil keeps you full
Coconut oil can help you shed only a very modest amount of pesky pounds but it may trigger a domino effect of having a healthier eating habit. When you add coconut oil into your meal, you can stay fuller longer. Virgin coconut oil in particular, when consumed every day can increase your high-density lipoprotein cholesterol that enhances satiety. This leads to lesser sugar cravings and snacking in between meals.
How to use coconut oil for weight loss
- Choose the right type of coconut oil: Use the unrefined, virgin coconut oil. This type of oil has the least amount of processing and still retains its super-satisfying coconutty flavor. It has no additives and is extracted from fresh coconut.
- Add to hot tea or water: Try adding a spoonful of coconut oil to your morning tea or simply hot water.
- Replace your cooking oil: Use coconut oil instead. Replace your olive oil or butter in making your smoothies or in cooking your meals.
- Add it to your salad or smoothie: For an ultimate satiety boost, add a teaspoon or two to your salad or smoothie combine with a good quality protein. You can also make a tasty veggie stir-fry with a teaspoon of coconut oil and stir it into your morning oat to amp your fullness.
- Use it to cook at high heat: Coconut oil holds up well in high heat cooking and it does not oxidize at high temperatures like other oils do. Its smoke point is 350 degrees Fahrenheit making it a good choice for sautéing and baking but not for frying.
- Try it with rice: Do this only when you are off the HCG diet as you are not allowed to eat carbs yet. According to research, adding a teaspoon of coconut oil for every half cup of rice before cooking can significantly reduce the number of calories your body takes in by 50%-60%.
- The best way to use coconut oil for weight loss is to make it a part of your overall healthy diet. Instead of the usual butter or lard replace it with healthier saturated fat.
- Use coconut oil in moderation. Coconut oil has a high level of calories and saturated fat. It contains 120 calories, o grams of protein, 14 grams of fat and 0 mg of cholesterol in just one tablespoon so you might want to use it sparingly. You need to practice proper portion control and spreading fat out throughout the day.
Other benefits of coconut oil
Coconut oil provides for various other benefits aside from contributing to stronger metabolism and higher energy level. Below are other benefits of coconut oil:
- Diabetes: Coconut oil is one fat that diabetic people can eat without fear. It helps control blood sugar level thus lessening the effect of the disease.
- Healthy skin: Applying coconut oil to the skin enhances the skin’s protective barrier function. It has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that helps protect against harmful microorganisms.
- Beauty benefits: Coconut oil is a chemical-free natural superfood that will not only help you lose weight and live longer. You can use coconut oil into your beauty routine typically as soap, shampoo, body scrub, makeup remover, face mask, moisturizer, shaving balm, and frizz tamer.
- Beating high blood pressure: Virgin coconut oil, when used properly, can be beneficial in lowering the blood pressure than vegetable oils.